We, as in my kids and I, love PEARS! This pretty little salad has a green leaf mix of spinach and kale, sprinkled with sliced almonds and crumbled feta cheese. Then, its topped with a sliced pear and pomegranate seeds. Just before serving, you can dress it with a honey vinaigrette salad dressing. Recipe below.
You can find baby spinach, organic, prewashed and bagged at almost every store these days. Next time, look for a mixed green variety. I picked up a bag of organic baby spinach, baby kale, and baby swiss chard the other day at Costco. This is great to have on hand for salads (these babies are tender and milder in flavor) or to throw into a smoothie. If you are just introducing your family to dark greens, I suggest mixing them with Romaine lettuce at first. Adding fruit that your kids like to salads is another way to help encourage them to eat their salad greens. Try adding apple, pear, blackberries, strawberries, peaches, or mandarin orange slices.
This salad dressing is slightly sweet and mustardy, and that makes it appealing to kids and adults!
- Spinach or Mixed Greens - a bowlful
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 Sliced Pear (Asian pear works well, but any pear will do.)
- Pomegranate seeds, optional
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar (apple cider or white wine)
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, a dash
- Assemble salad in bowl, layering salad greens first. Then, sprinkle feta cheese crumbles and almonds on top. Thinly slice the pear and lay on top, add pomegranate seeds if you wish. This assembled salad stores well in a tightly sealed bowl. Before serving, mix all ingredients for salad dressing and add to salad just enough to lightly coat the salad greens. Enjoy this beautifully flavored salad!